Adjudicators often make a significant impact on students and music teachers that continues long after the music festival is past. Professional and friendly demeanor is expected throughout the day. WSMA adjudicators attend training workshops every four years to refresh their skills and review adjudication expectations, and are paid for sharing their expertise and talents with our state’s young musicians.
Purpose of WSMA Festivals
- Improve students’ music performance through assessment;
- Increase students’ understanding of music literature and music concepts;
- Motivate students to continue their study of music;
- Establish standards of excellence in music performance;
- Provide opportunities for students to understand the relationship of music experiences to other life experiences.
Role of WSMA Adjudicators
- Maintain consistency by following WSMA rules and procedures;
- Clarify expectations and standards of quality in various aspects of performance;
- Provide constructive comments and suggestions for improvement on student performance;
- Encourage students to continue in his/her musical development and participation;
- Assist students in understanding the relationship between festival and other music experiences.
- Verify the music to be performed is from the current WSMA Festival Music List and is the original, publisher printed version of the matching edition.