Congratulations on registering to audition for the WSMA High School State Honors Music Project!
The audition schedule will be posted on Friday, January 18.
Please Follow These Instructions Carefully!
What to Bring
Percussionists & Jazz Drum Set Players
Procedures and Additional Information
- Attendance at Honors auditions is expected.
- If an emergency arises (illness, car breaks down, etc.) preventing you from performing the day you are scheduled, send an email to Victoria Donahue to discuss rescheduling options.
- Students should report to the check-in table upon arrival.
- The registration staff will ask for your name and what school you attend.
- Your audition form(s) will be given to you.
- Each audition form utilizes an audition number, not the name of the student or school. This audition number helps ensure an anonymous audition and selection process.
- Print the name and composer of your solo on the audition form.
- You will hand this form to the evaluator at the time of your audition.
- Warm-up and tune in the designated areas.
- BE SURE TO TUNE WHILE STILL IN THE WARM-UP ROOM. Due to the tight time schedule, tuning in the audition room is not feasible.
- Report to your audition room 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time – warmed up, tuned, and ready to perform.
- Do not introduce yourself or say your school name to the audition evaluator. The evaluator will welcome you, and ask for your audition form and a printed original of your solo. It is not necessary to bring a copy of your required etude(s) for the evaluator.
- All audition components will be evaluated during your audition. View and print out the WSMA High School State Honors Audition Requirements here.
- Instrumental solos are unaccompanied. Prepare to perform a 3-minute excerpt.
- Vocalists may bring their own accompanists or bring a pre-recorded accompaniment.
- Vocalists are required to bring his/her own playback equipment.
- Percussionists and Jazz Drum Set Players:
- 4 – Timpani, Snare Drum, Xylophone and Marimba will be provided as much as schools can provide them.
- Bring your own sticks and mallets. Set players should also bring brushes.
- Drum sets will also be provided, but students are welcome to bring their own kits.
- Jazz Ensemble Players:
- Do not need to bring any CD’s or etudes.
- Auditions are scheduled in 10-minute intervals, except Percussion and Drum Set (15 minutes each). Every effort will be made to maintain the schedule.
- Audition times for students who are trying out for two or more Honors groups will be scheduled within one hour of each other whenever possible.
- All auditions are private. No audience is allowed in the audition room.
- Preparation is the key to success in just about everything. Auditions can make you nervous because you’re performing for a stranger. Prepare thoroughly and you’ll enjoy showing the results of your efforts to a professional music educator who will truly appreciate your efforts and skills. Additional audition tips can be found here.