April 21-22, 2016
Location: Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells
Instructor: Chris Gleason, Sun Prairie
Band Festival at the Kalahari is now offering one graduate credit for band directors.
- Get new literature ideas by listening to as many as 49 middle school bands from 4 states!
- Assess and reflect upon each performance you attend making note of the concepts, skills and knowledge you would reinforce and correct with each ensemble. Then follow the group into the clinic room observing our guest clinicians working with students!
- Attend sessions on a variety of topics presented by the guest band festival clinicians throughout the day. The sessions will cover things such as quality band literature, rehearsal techniques, assessment, score study, warm-up procedures, percussion technique, equipment, technology, Comprehensive Musicianship through Performance (CMP), conducting techniques, SLO and many other ideas.
- Watch master percussion educators working with percussion sections!
- Collaborate and share your ideas with your band colleagues.
Chris Gleason earned his BME at UW-Eau Claire in 1997 and his Masters Degree from UW-LaCrosse in 2002. He has taught band in the East Troy School District and the LaCrosse School District. He currently teaches concert band and jazz ensemble at Patrick Marsh Middle School in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. Mr. Gleason’s 8th Grade Band has performed at the Milwaukee Art Museum, Wisconsin State Capitol Rotunda, the “New Wisconsin Promise Conference”, and the 2006 and 2009 Wisconsin State Music Conferences. The Patrick Marsh Middle School Band has commissioned composers such as Samuel R. Hazo (Blue and Green Music -2009), Brian Balmages (Sun Cycles – 2012), Michael Sweeney (Particles – 2013), Erik Morales (One Giant Leap – 2014) and John Mackey (TBA – 2015). In 1992 Mr. Gleason was selected as the Wisconsin Governor’s Scholar to Interlochen Arts Camp in Interlochen, Michigan. Mr. Gleason has performed professionally at Disneyland, Valleyfair, and the Mall of America. He has been guest conductor of numerous camps and festivals including the National Band Association –Wisconsin Chapter Junior High All-State Band, Tri-State Honors Band, UW-Milwaukee Honors Band and UW-Whitewater Band Camp. He is the past-chair of the Wisconsin Comprehensive Musicianship through Performance (CMP) Committee, chair of the Wisconsin State Middle Level Honors Band and chair-elect of the Wisconsin State Middle Level Honors Program. He has taught CMP Workshops at VanderCook College of Music, the Los Angeles Unified School District in California, The Total Music Educators Workshop, numerous school districts in the Midwest, and recently in Hong Kong. Mr. Gleason was the recent recipient of the Vi Miller Award for Excellence by Dane Arts. Mr. Gleason is the founder and organizer of the Band Festival at the Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells. Mr. Gleason is a member of NBA, WMEA, and NAfME.
Come join us for this amazing opportunity!
Registration Fee: $50
(Optional) One Graduate Credit $220 (through Viterbo)
(Optional) Lunch $9 (slice of pizza and soda)
(Optional) Band Festival T-Shirt $10
Graduate Credit Information
This course is eligible for graduate credit.
- View the Kalahari Band Festival Syllabus 2016 (pdf)
- Visit the Graduate Credit Information page for more details and to sign-up for credit.
Contact Mary: Send a message
800-589-9762, 608-850-3566 (Madison area)