In response to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, WSMA is proud to provide the WSMA Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festival for the 2020-2021 school year. This opportunity allows students to submit video performances for adjudicator feedback, and if desired, a rating.
Modifications have been made to the WSMA Solo & Ensemble Festival Rules to best accommodate this online format. Please be sure to review all Festival Rules prior to submitting registration.
Update as of 11/20/2020 –
In response to current circumstances that may limit student ability to sing or play with ensemble members in-person, WSMA has revised the 2020-2021 Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festival Rule regarding ensemble performances. Please see Festival Rule IV. C. District Ensemble Performance Requirements for details.
Important Dates & Deadlines
- Cycle A District Solo & Ensemble Festival – Now Closed
- Event registration opens: Wednesday, November 4
- Deadline to submit events: Thursday, December 10 at 5:00 pm
- Cycle A State Solo & Ensemble Festival – Now Closed
- Event registration opens: Tuesday, January 5
- Deadline to submit events: Friday, January 22 at 5:00 pm
- Cycle B District Solo & Ensemble Festival – Now Closed
- Event registration opens: Tuesday, February 23
- Deadline to submit events:
Friday, April 9 at 5:00 pmEXTENDED! Tuesday, April 13 at 4:30 pm
- Cycle B State Solo & Ensemble Festival
- Event registration opens: Tuesday, April 20
- Deadline to submit events: Friday, May 7 at 5:00 pm
Solo & Ensemble Festival event registrations will be completed by school music teachers using the WSMA Festival App. Click here for District & State Registration Procedures and Instructions.
The WSMA Festival App requires the following information:
- School Name
- School Music Teacher Name
- School Music Teacher Email
- WSMA Account Number
- Student name(s)
- Selection Title (if needed)
- PDF of original music
- Upload of video performance
WSMA does not endorse the sharing of the performance video
outside of the festival due to copyright laws.
Evaluations for all events should be returned within one week of the registration deadline.
- Cycle A District evaluations complete by: Friday, December 18
- Cycle A State evaluations complete by: Friday, January 29
- Cycle B District evaluations complete by: Friday, April 16
- Cycle B State evaluations complete by: Friday, May 14
Standard WSMA District and State rubrics are used for the evaluation of events. Teachers will receive an emailed notification when an evaluation is completed and should share this with their students.
Festival Music List
As a WSMA Membership Benefit, access to the Festival Music List is restricted.
- Teachers at WSMA member schools can access the list and other resources through MyCenter.
- Private teachers and music stores can subscribe here.
About the 2020-2021 Festival List
To remain copyright compliant, each publisher was contacted individually for permission to use their music for video performances and share a pdf of music through online software.
- Teachers should review carefully before distributing music to students
- Each selection is labeled on the Festival Music List as approved or unapproved
Permissions and Alternate Editions
To use music not currently listed on the WSMA Festival Music List, the teacher must remain copyright compliant by using a publisher who has granted approval for use in a virtual festival or by obtaining permission from the publisher for the video performance prior to submitting the WSMA Permission Request Form. Without prior publisher approval, the permission request will be denied. More information »