The Wisconsin Award for Excellence in Teaching Music was created to
recognize, reward and encourage excellence in music teaching
by Wisconsin’s best professional educators.
Wisconsin School Music Association and Wisconsin Music Educators Association are proud to sponsor a way to recognize professional educators who inspire students with their own passion for music. These organizations have partnered together to honor these educators with the distinctive Wisconsin Award for Excellence in Teaching Music. This award will be presented annually to one recipient, selected through a nomination and evaluation process.
Recipient(s) will receive
• An engraved plaque to be presented to them at the event of their choice
• Name engraved on a plaque in the Wisconsin Center for Music Education
The recipient(s) of the Wisconsin Award for Excellence in Teaching Music will be announced in September.
Who is Eligible to Be Nominated
The candidate must have:
• At least 10 years certified experience teaching music in a public and/or private school
• Service to WSMA (adjudicator, committee member) and/or WMEA (council member, conference involvement)
Nominations are for individual teachers only, not groups.
Who Can Nominate a Teacher
• Anyone is welcome to nominate a teacher for the Wisconsin Award for Excellence in Teaching Music.
• Three (3) people with different relationships (student, parent, administrator, colleague, community member, etc.) with the candidate each need to complete the nomination form.
• In addition, the candidate must complete and submit the Candidate’s Form.
• All nomination forms must be sent to WSMA/WMEA postmarked on or before July 1
Attn: Award for Excellence in Teaching
1005 Quinn Dr
Waunakee, WI 53597
Award Review Process
All award nomination forms will be reviewed by a committee made up of members of the WSMA Board of Directors, the WMEA Executive Board, WSMA staff and others. Award recipient will be announced in September. The award will be presented at the Wisconsin State Music Conference held in Madison at the end of October.