The Adjudicator Center is intended to bring together, in one source, all necessary and relevant information for WSMA adjudicators. Committee members, fellow adjudicators and WSMA staff have collaborated to assemble this important and useful tool. It is our hope you will use this resource as a guide in providing constructive and educational experiences for all students participating in WSMA Music Festivals. With your continued assistance, a unique and valuable learning experience awaits these young musicians.
Your role as an adjudicator has a great impact on students participating at a music festival as well as a lifelong impact. We sincerely thank you for your commitment and service to WSMA activities. Thank you for making a positive difference in preserving our proud musical heritage.
Adjudicators often make a significant impact on students and music teachers that continues long after the music festival is past. Professional and friendly demeanor is expected throughout the day. WSMA adjudicators attend training workshops every four years to refresh their skills and review adjudication expectations, and are paid for sharing their expertise and talents with our state’s young musicians.
Purpose of WSMA Festivals
- Improve students’ music performance through assessment;
- Increase students’ understanding of music literature and music concepts;
- Motivate students to continue their study of music;
- Establish standards of excellence in music performance;
- Provide opportunities for students to understand the relationship of music experiences to other life experiences.
Role of WSMA Adjudicators
- Maintain consistency by following WSMA rules and procedures;
- Clarify expectations and standards of quality in various aspects of performance;
- Provide constructive comments and suggestions for improvement on student performance;
- Encourage students to continue in his/her musical development and participation;
- Assist students in understanding the relationship between festival and other music experiences.
- Verify the music to be performed is on the current WSMA Festival Music List and is the original, publisher printed version of the matching edition.
- Interested in Adjudicating?
Adjudicator’s Role, Purpose of WSMA Festivals, Registration Form
- Current Adjudicator Resources
Annual Festival Rules Update Quiz, Adjudicator Availability, Workshop Registration, Criteria for Advancing to Next Level
WSMA Festival Rules, Adjudicator’s Handbook, Quizzes
- Festival Music List – MyCenter
The Festival Music List is available to current adjudicators through their MyCenter account. Active adjudicators without a MyCenter account should contact WSMA for login access.
- Adjudicator Workshop Registration
Adjudicator Workshops are held each fall to provide training to new adjudicators as well as recertifying current adjudicators.