Re/sound: Songs of Wisconsin
An educational collaboration by WSMA and PBS Wisconsin Education
Re/sound: Songs of Wisconsin is a collection of educational media resources for general music programs serving grades 4-8, and is a collaboration with Wisconsin School Music Association (WSMA) and PBS Wisconsin.
In a state-wide survey and listening sessions with music educators, we learned about the need for current, authentic, culturally diverse resources, as well as support in teaching with and about music from different cultures. These educator-stated needs shaped the direction and goals of the collection.
This multimedia collection includes video interviews with Wisconsin musicians, performances, audio files, and educator engagement guides designed to help activate the media with learners.
BY USING PROJECT RESOURCES, LEARNERS WILL:
- EXPLORE – Explore connections between music, identities, cultures and emotions.
- RECOGNIZE – Recognize shared and unique elements of distinct pieces of music.
- RELATE – Relate content to personal experiences choosing, playing and sharing music.
- Wade Fernandez
A musician from the Menominee Reservation whose music is rooted in nature.
- Richard Hildner Armazanqui & Juan Tomás Martínez
A pair of Madison-based musicians influenced by their families and world travels.
Two sisters in Milwaukee fusing music genres and connecting past, present and future.
- Maa Vue
A singer/songwriter in the Wausau area who uses her voice to keep the Hmong language alive.
PBS Wisconsin Education > Re/sound: Songs of Wisconsin Check it out!
- Educator Engagement Guides
- Musician Pages
Supplemental Resources Check it out!
- Performer Interviews
- Cultural Resources
- Instrument descriptions, photos, classifications
- Re/sound Performer Performer Panel Discussion Recording
- Hmong Curriculum Resources Workshop Recording
- LatinX Curriculum and Lesson Planning Workshop Recording
- Re/sound Summer Cultural Workshop – Curriculum writers share insight, lesson ideas, and resources that go beyond the materials originally provided in the engagement guides and previous workshops. Learn more HERE.
- Re/sound Classroom Connection – Give your students the opportunity to explore some of the diverse music of Wisconsin by having one of the musicians from the Re/sound: Songs of Wisconsin project connect with your students virtually. (More information coming this fall.)