WSMA is planning to support in-person Solo & Ensemble and Concert Festivals for the 2021-2022 school year provided that health and safety guidelines can be followed.
One representative (Festival Manager, Fine Arts Coordinator, Conference Representative, etc…) should submit scheduling information for each festival using the link below.
Not sure if someone else submitted this form? View submitted 2021-2022 Festival Information.
Scheduling FAQs and Resources
Can't remember the Festival Number?
Are there ‘black out dates’ not available to schedule a Festival?
WSMA does not allow festivals to be scheduled on the following dates:
- State Marching Band Championships (Saturday, October 16, 2021)
- Wisconsin State Music Conference (Wednesday, October 27 – Saturday, October 30, 2021)
- Friday or Saturday of WSMA State Solo & Ensemble Festival weekends
- Friday, April 29 – Saturday, April 30, 2022
- Friday, May 6 – Saturday, May 7, 2022
Please note: There has been an increased request for Solo & Ensemble Festival dates on the last Saturday of February and the first two Saturdays of March. It is becoming increasingly difficult to assign qualified adjudicators to these festivals due to the large number of performance sites on these weekends.
WSMA understands that scheduling is complicated and is often contingent on facility availability and other extracurricular activities, but there are some options to consider that could alleviate judge assignment and scheduling concerns:
- Schedule large ensembles on the Friday night or other week night prior to the festival
- Split the festival into different event types on two different dates
- Example: Schedule one Solo & Ensemble Festival to accommodate all vocal events, schedule another to accommodate all instrumental events
What about Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festivals and participation? Is that an option for some of my students or the entire festival?
WSMA is currently exploring the best possible way to utilize virtual participation in the future. One potential challenge is publisher permission for the submission of video recordings for evaluation; the current agreement with publishers expires in June 2021.
If needed, WSMA can pivot to virtual options in response to health and safety concerns contingent on publisher permission.