Do Festival Rules still apply to the Virtual Solo Festival?
- Substitute percussion equipment can be utilized (see question below).
- Accompaniment is optional for all events (see question below for resources).
Who is eligible to participate in the Virtual Solo Festival?
Students who received a starred first (*1) at their district festival or a starred first (*1) in the District Level Virtual Solo Festival may register for the State Virtual Solo Festival.
What about percussion? I don't have access to equipment.
- Any mallet solo can be performed on any mallet instrument.
- Parade drum solos may be performed on a concert snare drum.
- Multiple percussion solos may utilize any comparable instrument: xylophone for marimba, concert snare for parade drum, etc…
Do I need accompaniment for my solo?
Consider the following alternative options to a live accompaniment:
- Use a pre-recorded accompaniment provided by a private teacher or school music teacher.
- Download the Appcompanist app (available in iTunes or GooglePlay store)
- Subscribe to Virtually Vocal
- Download accompaniments from Piano-Accompaniments.com
- Check YouTube for available accompaniments (double check edition)
Do I need to provide an original piece of music for the adjudicator?
Do I still have to submit a 'classical' vocal solo in order to submit a music theater solo?
Can I enter an ensemble in the Virtual Solo Festival?
- Pre-recorded performances are allowed.
- Teachers may submit an appeal request by following this link.