How does registration work for the Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festival? Do I need to register and pay for events in advance?
In the WSMA Festival App, registrations can be started and submitted at the same time (video performance and music PDF required) OR registrations may be started and saved as a draft.
Each event registration is submitted individually. Once all information is entered for an event, you can choose the “Submit for Evaluation” option that appears at the bottom. (Note: This will not close registration for the entire school, like it does in a typical year)
Schools will be invoiced every two weeks for events submitted during that time frame. Schools are only invoiced for events that were submitted for evaluation.
We do not require payment prior to the event being evaluated, and most evaluations are completed and returned within 4 business days.
Please note: These procedures apply to the 2020-2021 Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festival only.
Our school is unable to provide a concert group opportunity for students this school year. Are students still eligible for the Virtual Solo & Ensemble Festival?
- Students must be in grades 6-12.
- Students must attend a WSMA Member School.
Are ensembles allowed in the 2020-2021 Virtual Festival?
Can I use an app or software to create an ensemble performance from individual videos?
- Multi-track layered video performances created with the use of software or other applications are permitted.
- Recording requirements:
- Each individual recording should be captured in one take.
- Individual recordings should not be altered.
- Final multi-track layered videos should not be altered.
- Individual parts may be recorded by different students, the same student or any combination thereof.
- Recording requirements:
My students are required to wear masks. Is it ok to submit performance videos with performers wearing masks?
Do I need to register and upload all of my students' performance videos at the same time?
Do Festival Rules still apply to the Virtual Solo Festival?
Do schools need to register through a 'host' school' or coordinate with other schools to form a festival?
Have registration fees changed due to the virtual format?
Does a student have to participate in Cycle A Festival in order to be eligible to participate in Cycle B Festival?
Do I need accompaniment for my solo?
Consider the following alternative options to a live accompaniment:
- Use a pre-recorded accompaniment provided by a private teacher or school music teacher.
- Download the Appcompanist app (available in iTunes or GooglePlay store)
- Subscribe to Virtually Vocal
- Download accompaniments from Piano-Accompaniments.com
- Check YouTube for available accompaniments (double check edition)