I received my scores from CS Music. How do I determine my rating?
I received a *1 for my Class A district level performance. How do I register for State Virtual Festival?
Please note: Coupon codes used for district level events are not applicable to state level events. If you are a student, please contact your school music teacher for options. Teachers should contact WSMA directly for this information.
Can I use the same video for state that I submitted for district?
Do Festival Rules still apply to the Virtual Solo Festival?
- Substitute percussion equipment can be utilized (see question below).
- Accompaniment is optional for all events (see question below for resources).
Who is eligible to participate in the Virtual Solo Festival?
Students who received a starred first (*1) at their district festival or a starred first (*1) in the District Level Virtual Solo Festival may register for the State Virtual Solo Festival.
What about percussion? I don't have access to equipment.
- Any mallet solo can be performed on any mallet instrument.
- Parade drum solos may be performed on a concert snare drum.
- Multiple percussion solos may utilize any comparable instrument: xylophone for marimba, concert snare for parade drum, etc…
Do I need accompaniment for my solo?
Consider the following alternative options to a live accompaniment:
- Use a pre-recorded accompaniment provided by a private teacher or school music teacher.
- Download the Appcompanist app (available in iTunes or GooglePlay store)
- Subscribe to Virtually Vocal
- Download accompaniments from Piano-Accompaniments.com
- Check YouTube for available accompaniments (double check edition)
My solo has lots of rests. Should I count through those? Or cut those measures and come in again when my part resumes?
Do I need to provide an original piece of music for the adjudicator?
Do I still have to submit a 'classical' vocal solo in order to submit a music theater solo?
I have a recording of my performance, but it doesn't include an introduction. Can I still submit it?
Can I register an event as Comments Only? I'm just interested in feedback, but no rating.
Are Virtual Solo Festival events eligible for Exemplary Performance Nominations and Awards?
Can I post or share my performance video publicly?
I made a mistake entering my information on the CS Music registration page. How can I fix it?
- Student name
- Event name
- Class (A, B or C)
- Explanation of change needed
I am a school music teacher and I'd like to get a list of students registered for the Virtual Festival. Who do I contact?
I am a school music teacher, and I have questions about registration fees and/or billing the school directly.
What role does WSMA play in festivals, and why does the association have incurred costs if some of the festivals didn't happen?
As a 501(c)3 non-profit, all funding we receive is reinvested in our membership and member services. For example, with a typical festival situation, 60% of all festival fees received are sent to the festival manager to cover all on-site costs (piano tuning/rental, adjudicators, printing, etc.) and 40% is retained by WSMA to cover annual festival operational costs (salary and hourly payments to WSMA staff and field reps, postage, printing, etc.).
Publish the music list
Organize the festival structure
Train festival managers
Hire and train adjudicators
Assign adjudicators statewide
Process permissions statewide
Develop and maintain technology infrastructure
Support software issues
Process registration and subsidy payments
With the WSMA Virtual Solo Festival, will adjudicators be compensated?