Each year, WSMA Festivals Committee members review festival rules and information from the perspective of how best to serve students. Discussion and suggested revisions are brought to a steering committee consisting of sub-committee chairs that then refines and forwards the recommendations to the WSMA Board for approval.
The 2016-2017 Festival Rules and Music List Event Headers reflect the following changes:
A. Festival Rule Changes (changes noted in italics):
IV.C: Clinic Experience replaces all of the following: Clinic Performance Assessment, Informance and Alternative Clinic Performance Assessment. The new clinic experience no longer requires at least two concert groups of each type and no longer requires a selection from the WSMA Festival Music List (although it is still highly recommended). Please refer to sections IV.C. & IV.D. for additional details.
V.C.2: A student may enter a maximum of ten (10) Solo & Ensemble events per district festival. Students may enter the same Regular or Special Ensemble event more than once as long as the selection and ensemble members differ for each entry.
V.F: Accompanist Requirements
- The allowed number of events per accompanist at a district festival is at the discretion of the festival manager.
- The festival manager may choose to limit the number of events (or minutes) per accompanist to facilitate scheduling.
- The festival manager will contact schools/accompanists on a case-by-case basis if scheduling issues arise.
- The allowed number of events per accompanist at a state festival is at the discretion of WSMA. It is recommended that an accompanist not exceed twenty (20) accompaniments in a single State Festival weekend.
- WSMA will contact schools/accompanists on a case-by-case basis if scheduling issues arise.
B. Festival Music List Event Updates (changes noted in italics):
Event 5918: Selections written primarily for household items (i.e. trash cans, buckets, brooms, etc.) and body percussion are not permitted.
C. Other Changes:
- The overall organization of the rules was updated and changed for 2016-2017. Please call WSMA with any questions.
- The rules now contain comments, which indicate further explanations and details that apply to the rule(s).