2020-2021 Special Requirement:
Publisher must grant permission to use music in virtual settings.
Due to copyright law, publishers must grant special permission for music to be recorded and distributed for virtual festivals. WSMA and National Federation of State High Schools (NFHS) have worked with publishers to receive this approval.
Is the publisher of your piece on this list?
- YES – Proceed directly to submitting your Alternate Edition Request form.
- The publisher has granted approval for their music to be used in a state association adjudication setting for a limited time (exp. June 15, 2021)
- NO –
Teachers from WSMA member schools may submit a request to use an alternate edition of a selection on the current WSMA Festival Music List. If the music submitted is deemed comparable, written approval will be granted for its use at festival.
- The music is comparable to the versions listed on the current WSMA Festival Music List, but the edition is not listed.
- Requests may be made for any event listed in the WSMA Festival Music List. This includes events listed as “No Permission.”
- Requests must be submitted by the member school teacher. Parents and students are not eligible to submit a request.
- NO LATER THAN 6 weeks prior to the festival, submit the Alternate Edition Request online.
- Please submit your request far in advance as possible.
- Approved permission requests will be notified approximately two weeks later via email.
- If your request is denied, the Permissions Chairperson will contact the director with additional information.
- Print the Alternate Edition Approved email, and attach it to the judge’s copy of the music for the district festival.
- Register the event through the online festival registration system.