ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The WSMA Aca U Artist in Residence program is designed to feed and nurture artistic creativity and technical innovation by providing a cappella ensembles at various levels of professional development. Artists will be provided with uninterrupted time, space, the use of professional staff and sound system to create new and innovative works in a unique and supportive world-class facility.
This self-directed program seeks to enhance creative skills and personal progression by facilitating concentrated artistic exploration and discovery in a context that is tailored to each group’s project. This may be but not limited to everything from technical aspects of performing to arranging, or simply working as a group.
Check out what 2019 WSMA Aca U Artist in Residence Collide Vocals had to say about attending in this podcast from The Pulse.
BENEFITS AND EXPECTATIONS
Artists in Residence are provided with:
- Focused time to concentrate on personal artistic development and work towards their proposed project
- An opportunity to use a professional sound system, rehearsal space and theater to advance the groups goals and aspirations
- Access to performance spaces for community outreach and engagement
- On-campus meals and lodging for all members
All artists participating in the Artist in Residence program will be asked to participate in some form of community outreach (i.e. performance, workshop, talk, mentorship, photo/video/media)
All participating artists are asked to provide a short video testimonial of their time spent in residence at WSMA Aca U and allow for photo and video documentation of their residency. This is used for promotional and archival purposes as a testimony for the WSMA Aca U Artist in Residence program.
*Please note: Artists in Residence are responsible for all travel costs to and from WSMA Aca U.
Applications for residencies are reviewed and accepted on an ongoing basis. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2022.
All groups will officially apply by clicking on the link below and provide a YouTube video of themselves. The video should contain the following:
- Information about your group (who you are, how long you have been in existence)
- At least three songs to show us your style and sound
- Why you would like to be selected for an artist in residency at WSMA Aca U
- What would you like to get out of an artist in residency program
SELECTION CRITERIA AND PROCESS
Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Those who have demonstrated excellence, aptitude and drive in their chosen or prospective field of work
- Those ensembles with artistic merit that show promise and originality
- Those whose proposal fits with the philosophy and goals of WSMA Aca U
A committee comprised of staff, specialists and industry professionals will convene to review applicant submissions and select participants. A decision of residency will be made by mid-late April.