Definition of First Read Judges Assigned to WSMA State Marching Band Championships
2021 State Championships Judges
Wisconsin marching bands are open to participate in show offerings outside of our state before the WSMA State Marching Band Championships without consent or sanctioning. It is possible that by participating in these shows outside of Wisconsin that a band may encounter a judge already assigned to the WSMA State Marching Band Championships. This issue could place the band director and WSMA into an uncomfortable situation as it relates to the proper management of the WSMA State Marching Band Championships.
1. For the purposes of assigning judges to the WSMA State Marching Band Championships, a first read judge is defined as follows:
- The assigned judge has not judged any independent shows or other marching band event in Wisconsin or any show using Wisconsin sheets for the current season.
- The assigned judge has not judged a Wisconsin band using other sheets twice or more in the season that the person is judging in Wisconsin.
- The assigned judge has not worked with, designed for and/or counseled bands in Wisconsin.
- If at all possible, the assigned judge should adjudicate a caption different at the WSMA State Marching Band Championships than that at the show outside of Wisconsin that the band attended.
- For the purposes of these guidelines, it is the responsibility of the school band teacher to inform the WSMA Program Director of any issues as soon as possible.
2. If issues regarding the first read judge panel assigned to the WSMA State Marching Band Championships are brought to the WSMA Program Director, the following steps will be taken to resolve the situation:
- If there is time, the judge will be replaced with another first read judge.
- If possible, the judge will be retained but the caption assigned changed to reflect the guidelines above.
- If it is impossible to replace or re-assign the judge in question, after consultation with the Marching Band Committee a decision will be made by WSMA as to the best resolution to the issue.
- All changes made to the Championships panel will be communicated with the participating directors as soon as possible.
Questions or interested in becoming a marching band judge? Contact Chief Judge & Independent Show Judge Coordinator Chad Quamme.