Weather Emergency Plan
This Weather Emergency Plan is designed for the safety and best interests of all participants at the WSMA State Marching Band Championships.
Before the Day of the Event:
- The WSMA Program Director will provide a cell phone number to all participating directors to be used the day of the event. Directors will also provide a contact cell phone number to WSMA to facilitate communication.
- The host site will reserve an indoor facility for use by the State Marching Band Championships each year.
- The Weather Emergency Plan will be posted on the Marching Band page of the WSMA website at www.wsmamusic.org. The home page of the WSMA website will also include information regarding the event on the day of the WSMA State Marching Band Championships if inclement weather is a consideration.
- If inclement weather is a concern, the WSMA Program Director will contact the National Weather Service and communicate information via e-mail with participating directors.
On the Day of the Event:
- If inclement weather (especially lightning) is a consideration before or during the event, the WSMA Program Director, Event Director, Site Manager and Public Safety will meet. Based on the conditions, site protocol and the information available a decision to remain outdoors or move to the inside facility will be made.
- Any decisions made will be communicated to the directors using all available means including cell phone, webpage postings and the public address system.
- If a delay of the show is necessary, approximate performance times will be announced using all available means.
- The WSMA Program Director, Event Director, Site Manager and Public Safety will continue to monitor the situation as needed as long as the inclement weather continues.
- Every effort will be made to finish a class of bands prior to moving the event indoors.
- If the indoor facility is large enough to accommodate a full performance including drill for all participating bands, the event will be adjudicated utilizing all captions.
- If the indoor facility is not large enough to accommodate drill, all bands will perform a standstill. The Visual Performance caption will not be adjudicated nor included in the final score.
- Whenever possible, the indoor facility will be operated in the same manner as the outdoor facility as it relates to performance, equipment, seating and adjudication.
- The selling of tickets may or may not be eliminated at the discretion of the WSMA Program Director.
- Priority seating will be given to the class in performance. Other spectators will be seated as availability and public safety officers allow. If it is necessary to clear the performance area to assist in this process, Public Safety officers will follow internal procedures to assist.
- An Awards Ceremony will be held at the conclusion of each class if the event is held indoors.
- Ticket refunds will only be issued for those who have purchased tickets and have not been able to see any bands perform. Refunds will be issued the day of the event only.