What to Bring:
- Your music
- An original printed copy of your solo for the evaluator (not percussionists)
- A pencil
- Your instrument (for percussionists: sticks and mallets)
PLEASE NOTE: Auditioning percussionists do not perform a prepared solo from the WSMA Music Festival list. Click here for Percussion Requirements.
- Your music
- An original printed copy of your solo for the evaluator
- Your own accompanist or a pre-recorded accompaniment
If using pre-recorded: You must supply a way to play the accompaniment.
Procedures and Additional Information
- Attendance at Honors auditions is expected.
- If an emergency arises (illness, car breaks down, etc.) preventing you from performing the day you are scheduled, contact Erica Ruppert to discuss rescheduling options.
- Students should report to the check-in table upon arrival.
- The registration staff will ask for your name and what school you attend.
- Your audition form(s) will be given to you.
- Each audition form utilizes an audition number, not the name of the student or school. This audition number helps ensure an anonymous audition and selection process.
- Print the name and composer of your solo on the audition form (this step is not necessary for percussionists).
- You will hand this form to the evaluator at the time of your audition.
- Warm-up and tune in the designated areas.
- BE SURE TO TUNE WHILE STILL IN THE WARM-UP ROOM. Due to the tight time schedule, tuning in the audition room is not feasible.
- Report to your audition room 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time – warmed up, tuned, and ready to perform.
- Do not introduce yourself or say your school name to the audition evaluator. The evaluator will welcome you and ask for your audition form and a printed original of your solo.
- All audition components will be evaluated during your audition. View and/or print out the WSMA Middle Level State Honors Audition Requirements here.
- Instrumental solos are unaccompanied. Prepare to perform a 3-minute excerpt.
- Vocalists may bring their own accompanists, or bring a pre-recorded CD or cassette tape.
- CD/mp3 players are NOT provided in vocal rooms. Singers need to provide their own if necessary.
- Timpani, Snare Drum, Xylophone and Marimba will be provided by the host school.
- Bring your own sticks and mallets.
- Auditions are scheduled in 10-minute intervals, except Percussion (15 minutes each). A 15-minute ensemble class is scheduled within an hour of the audition time. Every effort will be made to maintain the schedule.
- Audition times for students who are trying out for two or more Honors groups will be scheduled within two hours of each other whenever possible.
- All auditions are private. No spectators are allowed in the audition room. Spectators are allowed for the ensemble class.
- Preparation is the key to success in just about everything. Auditions can make you nervous because you’re performing for a stranger. Prepare thoroughly, and you’ll enjoy showing the results of your efforts to a professional music educator who will truly appreciate your efforts and skills.
- Additional audition tips can be found here.